John Cornyn’s record on legislation to protect the Earth’s limited resources and reduce human impact on climate change could hardly be worse. We’re talking cackling-rich-villain-personally-driving-bulldozers-through-the-rainforest levels of badness, here. If you need someone to deny scientific consensus, stoke unnecessary fear about job loss whenever renewable energy is discussed, or be an apologist for just about any polluting industry imaginable, Mr. Cornyn is your Senator.
Scorecards & Endorsements
But don’t take our word for it. Look at the streak of nothing but F- grades (usually zeroes!) these diligent, experienced environmental organizations assigned Cornyn in his last term.
- CWA – Clean Water Action
- Defenders – Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund
- ERI – EarthRights, International
- LCV – League of Conservation Voters
Follow the Money
According to OpenSecrets, the oil & gas industry has been Sen. Cornyn’s 2nd-biggest contributor since 2013, while real estate is the 5th. Here are some of the top 20 contributors to Sen. Cornyn’s campaign fund:
- (#1) Energy Transfer Equity (the company building the infamous Dakota Access pipeline)
- (#3) Chevron Corp.
- (#5) Valero Energy
- (#10) Exxon Mobil
- (#17) Quantum Energy Partners
- (#18) Zachry Group
Sen. Cornyn is #1 top Senate recipient of contributions from the natural gas transmission & distribution industry for 2017-18.
- Cornyn applauded Trump’s unilateral withdrawal from the Paris Climate Accord in this official statement (6/1/17)
“I applaud the President’s decision today as he continues to turn the page on the previous Administration’s job-killing regulatory agenda. For eight years the Obama White House waged a war on American energy producers, and they characteristically overstepped their authority by unilaterally entering into this agreement.”
More on how little Cornyn cares about the environment:
- John Cornyn’s climate denialism should disqualify him from public office - It's easy for progressives to criticize statements like this one for their "ignorance." The truth is that climate deniers usually are not ignorant of science.…
- John Cornyn really hates the #GreenNewDeal. Here’s why. - Fortunately for John Cornyn, he won’t be around to see the worst effects of climate change. But many of us will. Our children and grandchildren…
- Houston Chronicle slams Cornyn’s climate-change skepticism - The editorial board of the Houston Chronicle published a brutal take-down of John Cornyn's sudden adoption of climate-change denialism. Excerpts below. The four warmest years…